The monsoon brings the sign of relief from the scorching heat during summers. That first drop of rain makes us forget all the trouble and the sweat of summer!
Who doesn’t enjoy monsoon! The lovely weather, the lush green, and amazing fog and cold temperature!
But just like good things don’t come alone, similar is our monsoon too. During monsoons, we tend to face a few common problems of water-borne illnesses, stubborn viral infections, cold, cough, throat infection, etc.
Hence, good nutrition is essential to build up a strong immune system.
Let’s understand 5 superfoods which can help you improve your immunity this Monsoon:
- Spices and Condiments: Spices and Condiments act as a natural immunity booster and they rank no. 1 in building up your immunity and save you from viral infection. Spices such as cinnamon, cloves, pepper, bay leaves, cardamom, cumin seeds, etc. and herbs such as basil leaves, thyme, mint, etc. contain special substances in them which may help improve your immune power. Add them in your tea, have spice-infused water, etc.
- Vitamin C rich foods: Research has shown that a lack of nutrients in your daily diet can be one of the major reasons for low immunity. One of such major nutrients would be Vitamin C. Vitamin C is known to improve immunity by supporting various cellular functions. Good sources of vitamin C include guava, amla, gooseberry, capsicum, cabbage, etc. Include minimum of 1 vitamin C fruit a day.
- Antioxidants rich foods: Along with Vitamin C, antioxidants like vitamin A, E, zinc, and selenium, if taken in an appropriate amount, can strengthen your immunity and protect you from infections. Studies suggest that Vitamin A helps strengthen immunity against infections. Zinc and selenium are great for building immunity as well; these minerals are present in sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashews, coconut, walnuts; pulses, beans, and peas; chicken; yogurt, etc. Antioxidants help protect you for free radical damage and thus build up strong immunity. Antioxidants like Vitamin A and Vitamin E are present in foods such as colored fruits and veggies, beans, nuts, and oilseeds, etc. Consume 2 -3 servings of these fruits and vegetables to achieve those benefits.
- Probiotics: It is amazing to know that your bacteria cells outnumber your cell numbers. These bacteria’s are known as good bacteria’s or probiotics. These bacteria not only help in breaking down your food but also protect from the pathogens. Without these bacteria, your food will not get digested and no benefit of any nutrient will reach to you. The excellent source includes curd and yogurt. You can also include probiotic supplements to ensure their benefits.
- Nut & Oilseeds: They not only provide energy but also help to build up strong immunity. Nuts and Oilseeds like walnuts, flaxseeds, and almonds contain a good amount of omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and selenium which can boost your immunity. These nutrients can reduce inflammation and lower the strain on your body’s defense. Consume 4 – 5 pieces of nuts every morning to boost up your immunity.
So include these super foods in your diet and stay healthy this monsoon!