Most of the time, figuring out which nutrient is important can be very confusing for one. So many supplements and ingredients floating around on the internet can complicate things rather than simplifying.
Similar is the scenario with omega-3 fatty acids; health experts frequently recommend fish oil supplements as a part of the nutritional foundation. Omega-3 fatty acids supplements are not just a onetime investment but need to be replenished for the good health on a daily basis. This is because omega-3 fatty acids or fish oil supplements provide a good amount of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
EPA and DHA are important for overall health because of the host of health benefits they offer, such as:
- Helps control healthy cholesterol levels.
- Supports normal cardiac health.
- Might help maintain blood pressure levels.
- Supports your joint health and helps improve joint mobility.
- Supports brain health and helps improve your mental focus.
- Might promote eye health.
- Overall, it will help improve build up your strong immunity.
But before you consume fish oil supplements or fatty fishes, it is important to burst your here is what you should know:
Frequently Asked Questions about Omega-3 Fatty Acids
What are Omega-3s?
Omega-3s are essential to good health but the body cannot make them on its own. There are different types of Omega-3s which must be obtained through diet or supplements. Most common are EPA, DHA, and ALA.
What are the benefits of EPA and DHA?
EPA is the superior Omega-3 for heart health, mood support, and inflammation support. Important for the circulatory system, helps support normal healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels. DHA is required for eye and brain development and function and skin health. Essential for expecting and new mothers for fetal and newborn eye and brain development.
Aren’t all Omega’s the same?
No, they are not the same. The normal human diet contains a wide range of fatty acids. They are present in fats & oils or we get it from the natural sources like nuts, oilseeds, salmon, etc. Chemically speaking, fatty acids have acid on one end, connected to a chain of variable length and “degree of saturation”. Both these qualities affect the health effects of fatty acids. Boiling down to Omega fatty acids, they are classified as per their position of the first double bond.
The name Omega-3 comes from the position of the first double bond which is in the third position. The three main Omega-3 fatty acids include alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
Each of these omega-3s has its own unique role in the body and hence their requirement also varies. These three important omega-3 fatty acids are also biochemically connected because the body can interconvert between the three: ALA is converted to EPA and then DHA, and back again. The conversion rate is minimal and hence it gets important to consume it directly from food and supplements.
How much Fish oil do I need every day?
According to the American Heart Association, one needs to have a minimum 3 servings of fatty fishes or to supplementing daily with about 500mg of EPA and DHA. As per ICMR, one needs to consume minimum 250mg/d to 2g/d to get the benefits. Alternatively, if fish is not a part of your normal diet, then you should take a fish oil supplement daily that contains at least 900 mg of EPA and DHA. Each serving of GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil will provide you 1500mg of omega-3 fatty acids which include 900 mg of EPA and DHA.
How can I be sure to fish oil supplements are safe for consumption?
Purity makes a great difference and GNC takes care of that total.
- GNC Fish Oils pay attention to all of these details in order to produce the best high-potency fish oil brand.
- GNC Fish Oil is purified and manufactured for freshness and takes a rigorous approach to ensure quality.
- Only the best quality ingredients derived from wild, deep ocean fish are used: mainly anchovies and sardines.
- Uses a several layer purification process until each batch is free of detectable levels of mercury, cadmium, lead, and PCBs.
When is the best time to consume fish oil supplements?
You can usually take fish oil supplements any time of the day. However, if you ask the best time, we would recommend consuming the supplement with your one of the meal. As Fish oil is better absorbed with a meal rather on an empty stomach.
Do Pregnant Women Need Omega-3s?
Yes, it is essential for a pregnant woman to improve the intake of omega-3 fatty acids especially DHA, because developing a baby is dependent on mother.
- Promotes Brain Development of Fetus: Studies have shown better cognitive development in infants whose mother is taking Omega-3 fatty acids supplement as compared to one not taking.
- DHA helps Support Brain Development during Infancy: One of the organs that develop in super speed during infancy is our brain. And so, providing essential nutrients like DHA, one of the major structural lipids in the brain to help support normal brain development is essential.
Can we get omega-3 from the natural sources?
Fish is the major and the only source of omega-3 fatty acids. Rest other vegetarian options will not provide the recommended omega-3 fatty acids required for good health. Even fish eaters are not able to meet their RDA as Indians do not consume fish on a regular basis.