Before we get into how probiotics can help alleviate gas, bloating and abdominal pain caused due to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and other digestive issues, let’s first understand what a ‘probiotic’ is.
Essentially, probiotics are living microorganisms or the good bacteria that are found naturally in your gastrointestinal tract and aid digestion. There are many probiotic-rich food sources like yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and kimchi as well as supplements, which can help promote a healthy and balanced gut flora and boost your digestive health by eliminating harmful bacteria in the intestine (or body).
What causes gas, bloating and abdominal pain?
There are over 400 different bacteria species – both good and bad – in the gastrointestinal tract. For a healthy digestive system, it is critical to maintaining a balance between the probiotic and pathogenic bacteria in the gut microflora. In most cases, excessive stomach gas is a result of the imbalance that occurs when healthy bacteria is outnumbered by harmful bacteria, causing digestive dysfunction.
The gas build-up is the most common cause of bloating, which is associated with the feelings of fullness and discomfort in the abdominal area. Along with gas and bloating, bacterial overgrowth in the gut also leads to abdominal pain that can together make the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) – a chronic disorder. Since all these digestive problems are linked directly or indirectly to the state of imbalance in the gut flora, probiotics can help prevent and relieve their symptoms by inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria. Add these gut-friendly bacteria to your diet through supplements!
How do probiotics work?
Here are some functions of probiotic supplements that can help relieve you from the misery of gas, bloating and abdominal pain:
- They help your body break down nutrients from food more efficiently for better digestion; whilst reducing the risk of GI distress.
- They increase your body’s ability to assimilate nutrients from food, which proves beneficial especially for those on a restricted or vegan diet.
- They help enhance your immune system, which is inextricably linked with your gut health, to protect you against any illness including stomach woes.
- They inhibit the growth of harmful, disease-causing bacteria by increasing the population of good bacteria in your gut.
- They help fight inflammation to soothe the discomfort in the GI tract caused due to bloating or abdominal pain.
- They balance the gut flora to prevent gas production as well as reduce the gut’s sensitivity to related disorders.
Hence, adding supplements such as GNC Probiotic Complex and GNC Ultra Probiotic Complex to your diet can reduce the risk of developing GI problems and severity of their symptoms. All you need is to make sure that the supplement you choose to combat your problems contains multiple strains since it is more effective than a single-strain product.