The day of Makar Sankranti holds a special place in the Hindu Festivals. It marks many important days of the year. For instance, the day marks the arrival of spring season and crops are harvested throughout Northern India. While some celebrate it as Lohri, for others this day is more about charity and donations. Even though we are a nation full of diversity, we have a common ritual for this day, i.e. Til Gud Ladoo.
Til, also known as Sesame seeds, are a good source of nutrients essential for the human body. It is rich in fiber, plant protein, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and many more vital nutrients. It has multiple benefits ranging from lowering cholesterol to supporting bone health. An ingredient with so many health benefits must be incorporated in a daily diet. If you have a sweet tooth and are looking for a recipe that calms your cravings, we might have something for you. Here’s recipe to make those Til Gud Ladoo but with a protein twist:
Preparation Time: 20 Mins
⅓ cup white sesame seeds (Roasted)
¼ cup peanuts (Roasted)
¼ cup desiccated coconut (Roasted)
½ cup jaggery powder
½ scoop GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein in Chocolate Supreme
3 tablespoons water
¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
Ghee for greasing
How to make:
● Add roasted sesame seeds, roasted peanuts, and roasted coconut powder in a grinder. Grind the ingredients coarsely.
● Put the mixture in a bowl. Now add GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein in Chocolate Supreme, and cardamom powder. Mix it well.
● In a pan, add jaggery and water. Put the pan on low heat and keep stirring the jaggery so that it dissolves in the water.
● Cook the mixture on a slow flame until it reaches the soft stage. To check the consistency, take some water in a small bowl. Drop a bit of jaggery solution in the water. The water will cool the jaggery syrup and when you remove it, the consistency will be sticky and form a soft ball.
● At this stage, switch off the flame and add the dry ingredients. Mix it all thoroughly to ensure no lumps are formed.
● Let it cool to lukewarm temperature to help them maintain their shape when you start to roll them.
● Now roll the mixture into ladoos. You can scoop ¾ of mixture at a time to make evenly shaped ladoos.
● Once rolled and cooled at room temperature, store them in an airtight container.
● If the mixture is not binding well, put the whole mix on low flame and cook it for a few more minutes.
● In case the mixture becomes hard to shape, splash in a few drops of water and you will be able to shape it easily.
● It may happen that the mixture is too hot to shape into balls, or that you are unable to bind them properly. In that case, grease a pan with ghee/oil and spread the mixture. Let it cool and cut it into squares to make Til Chikki or Sesame Brittle.
Adding protein powder makes the Til Ladoos more nutritious where each Ladoo will provide approximately 4-5gms of protein. You can use different flavours of protein powder to make a variety of Til Gud Ladoos. These can be enjoyed throughout the year. You can eat a ladoo with a warm cup of milk at night to sleep well, or eat it in the morning to stay energized throughout the day. Eating them after meals also improves digestion. Be it in the morning before workout or at night for good sleep, Til Gud Ladoos will provide you with loads of nutrition.