India is moving towards Lockdown 4.0 as we observe a rapid increase in the cases of coronavirus and unfortunately the spread of coronavirus became unstoppable. The mortality rate among the older population is the highest, one of the reasons being low in important immunity building nutrients and comorbidity responsible for accelerating the disease.
In this article, let’s quickly address your common concerns towards a higher risk of COVID-19 amongst older adults and few quick tips to protect them from COVID-19
Are older adults more susceptible to COVID-19?
Yes, lots of pieces of evidence have suggested that older populations are more prone to getting infected by a coronavirus. Older adults with additional medical problems (heart disease, diabetes, lung problems, and potentially dementia) are at the highest risk.
Are the symptoms similar or different as compared to the general population?
The most common symptoms of coronavirus are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Older adults can face more severe symptoms and the disease may also accelerate at higher speed as compared to normal adults.
How do I protect them from getting infected?
The simple and honest answer would be to stay at home, make sure you clean your hands with the liquid soap or a santizer.
- Avoid going out to collect anything, be it collecting milk or grocery. If you are staying in a joint family, then let your kids handle it.
- If you staying alone – make sure to stock up things and try going down only once a week. Ideally, shop for your essentials only when stores are less crowded.
- A very important thing to follow is to stock up your medicines for a minimum of 2 months, so you don’t have to rely on it for too long. Stay in touch with your friends, family, and your kids to avoid going through the loneliness.
- Multivitamins made using careful ingredients, vitamins and minerals which suit your requirement only should be taken. Do not consume what everyone does, go for the vitamin which is specifically prepared.
Here are a few more quick tips to follow:
- Be Physically Active: Post your retirement, you are little clueless on the day to day activities. Don’t let your boredom or pain in your joints make you just sit like a lazy bag. This time is the best time to do what you like. Take up a hobby, like a rigorous or something peaceful.
- Quit Smoking: It’s high time you quit smoking! Your organs have suffered a lot and can lead to cancer and strokes which could both be fatal. Smoking is also one of the reasons for accelerated skin aging.
- Follow Proper Diet: As you age, your diet also changes or ages. Your digestive system slows down with age, and hence it is important to include high fiber vegetables and fruits. The right amount of nutritious food that suits your system is the key to a healthy life. In fact, many illnesses that befall people in their old age can be managed through a proper and regular diet.
- Stock up Multivitamins: When you getting old, you face a lot of problems such as bone health, hormonal imbalance, high on sodium – this happens due to different needs and declining rates of absorption of vitamins and minerals. Try taking GNC multivitamin which is designed specifically for men and women above the age of 50. There would no need to take any other vitamin supplements, just one will do.
- Exercise: Exercise has always been an important part of our life. One has to remain active despite their age and health. While your body may not allow for strenuous activity, a little bit of movement and physical activity is a must – take a brisk walk, do yoga, or cycle on a steady bike… whatever appeals to you.
- Be social: You never got much time to catch up with your friends, why don’t you make the most of your time. Meet your friends virtually and have a great time remembering those good old days. These memories tend to release happy hormones and alleviate your mood.
- Always Eat on Time: Earlier, your work may not be allowing having food on time, regularity in your meal, and being conscious of the timing of intake and gap between food and sleep will lead to ease indigestion, better sleep and a feeling of freshness.
- Keep Smiling: Well, buster to any stress would be a broad smile every day. Be happy and make everyone around you happy.