The rains are finally here! As we bring out the umbrellas & raincoats to avoid getting drenched, our body is not as much shielded against the rising threats of viral fevers and waterborne infections. A cough here and a sneeze there are all that it takes to spread the germs. The good news is - you can avoid getting infected by making conscious choices everyday to boost your immunity. Apart from the usual habits of drinking clean water and washing hands regularly, here are the top wellness tips to stay healthy during monsoons:
1. Flex & Stretch
Regular workout is known to rejuvenate your immune system cells for improved protection against infections. Start with brisk walks or simple stretching and then move on to heavy workout. Don’t forget to fuel your body with wholesome food and good supplements.
2. Eat Your Veggies & Probiotics
Plant-based foods rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants help fight inflammation and strengthen your immune system. Curd, yogurt, and other probiotics along with fibers in veggies support the good bacteria in your stomach for promoting better gut health.
3. Banish the Mosquitoes
Clean out all water puddles to eliminate the breeding grounds of dengue- and malaria-causing mosquitoes. At home, set up an electronic trap lamp and while stepping outside, cover yourself in insect repellent or full clothing to avoid mosquito bites.
4. Say No To Street Foods
The streets are lined up with Thelas serving all kinds of piping-hot delicacies that set your mouth watering. As tempting as they may look, these unhygienically prepared snacks hide a very dark secret. They are covered with a huge colony of bacteria and viruses poised to attack their next victim. Bottom line is, best to stick to home-cooked food for that clean bill of health.
5. Slow Down the Sugar Rush
Excessive sugar intake incapacitates the ability of white blood cells to fight off bacteria and viruses, making you more prone to infections. Cutting down on sugar will minimize inflammation and improve your immunity. Switch to healthier sweet alternatives instead of the usual desserts.
6. Go Low On Salt
Too much salt consumption raises blood pressure, and high blood pressure often lowers the immunity. So the next time, sprinkle less salt while cooking food or seasoning your plate of fruit slices. That way, your immunity remains intact and you maintain a stronger barrier against microbial threats.
7. Eat More Of Immunity-Boosting Foods
Our diet plays a key role in determining how we function in our day-to-day lives. This food-body relationship extends to our immunity as well. What we eat eventually decides how well we can take down any invading germs and save ourselves from infections. Here are the top immunity-boosting foods for rainy season:
- Vitamin C–Rich Foods - Vitamin C is like the petrol for your immunity engine. It operates on several levels to strengthen your immune system. The first & foremost is increasing the White Blood Cells in your blood to battle and win against any kind of germ invaders. Foods such as Lemon, Orange, and Amla are powerhouses of Vitamin C, built for boosting immunity.
- Ginger - Ginger is especially common In Indian households. In fact, heavy rains often drive us to brew a hot cup of ‘Adrak Wali Chai’ (Ginger Tea) to sip and let it slowly warm our body. Ginger is traditionally well known for its therapeutic properties against inflammation and sore throat. It is enriched with rich antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents, namely gingerols, sesquiterpenes, paradols, zingerone, and shogaols, to bolster your immunity.
- Garlic - Just like Ginger, Garlic contains a special immunity booster called allicin that significantly minimizes the risk of catching a cold.
- Omega-3 Oils - Fatty fishes and flax seeds are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids that induce a healthy anti-inflammatory response and direct immunity cells to the infected region. This helps you recover faster from any ailment.
- Turmeric - Most of our Indian cuisines use Turmeric like it was salt or pepper. Part of it is because of the great flavor & color it bestows but the other reason points towards Turmeric’s quality as an immunity booster. It contains Curcumin that flushes out the toxins from your body and reinforces your immune system to put up a stronger defense against bacteria & viruses.
- Tulsi - Tulsi, a.k.a holy basil, is very much revered in Ayurveda, owing to its multiple therapeutic qualities. It’s a powerful germ killer with phytochemicals & antioxidants, which identify any bacterial & viral invaders in your body to immediately zap them where they stand. You can chew raw Tulsi leaves in the morning or boil them in hot water for some refreshing Tulsi Tea.
- Non-Veg Food - Chicken, eggs, and fishes are rich sources of proteins that supply amino acids for synthesizing immune cells and antibodies. These newly synthesized agents make your immune system much stronger. Some shellfishes and meat contain Zinc that improves the immune-system mechanisms.
While it’s true that Nature has given us everything to stay healthy. The current farming operations with unrestricted use of chemicals and our lifestyle challenges make it very difficult to get all the required nutrients from just our diet. This is where supplements come in. Good supplements are formulated keeping in mind our nutritional needs and where our diet might be lacking to meet those needs. Here are some of the Monsoon supplements for better health:
- GNC Vitamin C Chewable Tablets - These 500mg Vitamin C Tablets contain high-concentrated sources of Vitamin C, Sodium Ascorbate & Ascorbic Acid, which are directly absorbed by the body to build a much stronger and far-reaching shield against bacteria, viruses, and other deadly pathogens. Know More.
- GNC Immune Formula - The formula features an advanced immunity blend with clinically proven ingredients, including 1000mg Vitamin C Complex, Vitamin B6, Zinc, and natural extracts Amla & Echinacea. It supercharges your immunity and defends stronger against common cold and inflammatory triggers. Know More.
- GNC Multivitamins - Specialized multivitamins for Men & Women feature a plethora of vitamins, minerals, and special blends to make your body defences stronger. Know More.
- GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil - Each softgel capsule contains 3 times more EPA & DHA than single-strength capsules, meaning you’ll have 3 times better immunity than with other fish oil capsules. Know More.
Prevention is better than cure! The best way to stay healthy is to avoid getting sick altogether rather than recovering from sickness. Making mindful choices everyday eventually builds up and creates a bigger impact on your health. So, exercise regularly, eat better, steer clear from street food, and practice healthy habits to keep your immunity engine running strong.
And remember, monsoons feel happy only if your body is happy!