8 Simple Tips to Keep your Knee Healthy
8 Simple Tips to Keep Your Knee Healthy
Arthritis foundation shares with us a few tips which can help us improve our knee health.
- Switch off Your Television: Being glued to your television can make you slow down your metabolism and also leads to overeating. Television ads tend to many times tend to misguide adults and influences the kids. Make a habit of not watching more than an hour and utilize the rest of your time training.
- Focus on Your Bones: Improve the intake of calcium to help improve the health of your bones. Calcium along with Vitamin D and magnesium provides the required energy for your bones to stand strong. It also helps you to protect you from osteoporosis. Calcium-rich food found commonly in India is milk and milk products, green leafy vegetables, dry fruits, and nuts.
- Make Your Dish More Colourful: Check your lunch or dinner plate before you consume, does it have all the colors or nutrients required. Try adding greens or reds in your diet by including a portion of vegetable, portion of fruit, nuts & oilseeds, to get maximum nutrients, like fiber, antioxidants, and phytochemicals.
- Get Support from Supplements: Glucosamine and chondroitin support the body’s ability to maintain joint health associated with aging and daily wear and tear. Glucosamine and chondroitin are the premier building blocks for joint lubrication and joint cartilage. Glucosamine and chondroitin support the body’s ability to regulate the enzyme pathways involved in joint function.
- Cook Some Fatty Fish: Fatty fishes are an excellent source of omega – 3 fatty acids Omega-3 fatty acids, found in cold-water fish, such as salmon and mackerel, can help keep your joints healthy. Studies have proven that omega-3 fatty acids if taken every day, can help reduce the inflammation of joints and thus help reduce the pain. It simply gets impossible to consume fatty fishes every day, hence a fish oil supplements with an excellent ratio of EPA and DHA (main active forms of omega-3 fatty acids) can be considered.
- Cut Down on your Caffeine: We all need that extra burst of energy in the morning, but control it to maximum 1 or 2 cups of coffee. Studies have that caffeine reduces calcium absorption, so any form of milk which is in a caffeinated beverage does not have a positive effect on bone health
Wear Comfortable Footwear: Senior Doctor at AIIMS have confirmed that wearing high heels for long hours every day can lead to can have According to Uma Kumar, HOD, Rheumatology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), wearing high heels every day for long hours can aggregate the damage to knees and lead to arthritis. Look for Buy something that has a sole to give you cushions, which allows your tow to move around a bit. Make sure your shoe is flexible at the ball of your foot, where you push off.
- Knee Strengthening Exercise: If you have knee pain due to constant sitting in your office, keep stretching your knees every 1 hour. A small exercise helps to strengthen the muscles and thus support the knee. These knee pain exercises will help you improve the flexibility of your knees.