Fish Oil for Pregnant Women and ChildrenWhen you’re preparing to welcome a new life into the world, it becomes most important for you to look after your health and well-being and that of your unborn baby. According to scientific research, a well-balanced diet, including micronutrients from all food groups in the right amount, is critical for fulfilling the nutritional needs of a pregnant woman. Most medical experts agree that eating fish during pregnancy provides an array of nutrients that are important for both the health of the mother and early development of the baby, especially the two omega-3 fatty acids – DHA and EPA. According to the Global Organization for EPA and DHA Omega-3s (GOED), pregnant or lactating mothers must consume 700-1000 mg DHA daily.While omega-3s are difficult to find in other food sources, many pregnant mothers avoid eating fish because of contaminants such as mercury that can harm the brain and nervous system of the babies in utero. Others do not eat it at all due to food aversions or on account of being a vegetarian. Hence, their diet is severely deficient in these critical nutrients.Since you can’t just skip your omega-3s, taking a fish oil supplement such as GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil is a great alternative. These supplements are purified to eliminate any toxins found in fresh fish, and thus, considered the safest source of DHA and EPA. A high-quality fish oil supplement is shown to deliver the same health benefits of omega-3s as the food source.
Benefits of Fish Oil
According to medical research and different studies conducted over time, here are some of the potential benefits of fish oil (omega-3 fatty acids) for pregnant women, infants and children.
In Pregnant Women:
- Prevents premature birth and low birth weight
- Reduces the chances of miscarriage or other serious complications like preeclampsia
- Improves the functioning of the placenta and limits placental inflammation
- Enhances the development of the brain of the fetus
- Decreases the risk of postpartum depression
- Improves the baby’s nervous system, immune system, and heart
- Helps in visual and cognitive development of the infant
- Reduces the risk of allergies in infants
- Prevents heart disease and obesity later in life
- Boosts attention span in children
- Aids brain and eye development
- Reduces the severity of ADHD symptoms, such as inattention, in some children
It is true that eating fatty fish is a great way to meet your omega-3 needs. But, if you do not wish to worry about factors like which fish to eat, the time of the year it was caught, its mercury content, how to prepare it so that it retains its nutrients, etc., supplementing your diet with fish oil capsules is an effective way to give yourself and your child a nutritional head start!