What is Novel Coronavirus?
A novel coronavirus is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified. The virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), is not the same as the coronaviruses that commonly circulate among humans and cause mild illness, like the common cold.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is an infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019. (Definition as mentioned by WHO)
World Health Organization (WHO) has prepared a simple video for all of us to understand the exact symptoms of Coronavirus.
Who are at Risk?
- Older adults above the age of 60 years
- People who have severe underlying chronic medical conditions like heart or lung disease or diabetes seem to be at higher risk for developing more serious complications from COVID-19 illness.
How Coronavirus does spread?
It can be transmitted through an infected person who maybe has a history of traveling abroad.
- Through nose and mouth, in the form of droplets produced on coughing or sneezing.
- Through close contact or a touch
- Through in contact with contaminated surfaces like doorknobs, table, or personal items etc.
What Is the Immune System & Why Is it Important?
What is the immune system?
The body’s immune system is a complex network of cells, tissues, and organs that work together to defend against germs that can cause harm. The immune system works to help the body recognize these germs and keep them out. If it can’t keep them out, then the immune system works to find and destroy them.
Why is a healthy immune system important?
If the body’s immune system isn’t functioning properly, then it can lead to a host of conditions. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a great way to support a healthy immune system.
How can you keep your immune system healthy?
Eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, getting plenty of sleep and limiting stress are all ways to support a healthy immune system. Eating a balanced diet provides your body with key nutrients.
What do we understand by Stage 1,2,3 & 4 of the disease? Where do we stand as a country?
Experts at the ICMR said there were four states of the coronavirus disease:
Stage 1 is getting imported cases When the virus travels from other high-risk countries with COVID-19 outbreaks to India. Stage 2 is local transmission The virus is transmitted only to those in close contact with an infected patient. Stage 3 is community transmission A person does not have to have traveled to high-risk countries, or be in direct contact with an infected person to become infected. Stage 4 is when it turns into an epidemic The disease spreads rapidly to many people in a short time-span. This becomes a national health emergency.
While India as of now is at stage 2 now and if all possible measures are taken – we can surpass the stage 3 and 4.
How to LIVE WELL during COVID-19?
- Clean your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds
- Use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Put distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community.
- Avoid Shaking Hands, Prefer “Namaste” or “Handwaving”
- Stay home if you’re sick
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Wear a facemask if you are sick
- Correct your Lifestyle with healthy balanced home-cooked food and necessary dietary supplements.
What Products Can I Consider for Immune Support?
Probiotics: These beneficial bacteria boost your body’s defenses by coating and lining the GI tract.
Vitamin D: Is a fat-soluble vitamin that plays a key role in the body’s immune system.
B-complex Vitamins: Certain vitamins and minerals, such as B vitamins, are essential to support immune system function.
Zinc: Your body needs zinc to function normally as it plays an essential role in cell metabolism. Zinc supplementation may support natural resistance.
Vitamin E: It protects the structural elements of cell membranes. Buy GNC Natural Vitamin E 400 IU and boost your immunity today!
Selenium: When taken in combination with Vitamin E, this immunity-boosting mineral can help keep the disease-causing pathogens at bay. Find out more about GNC Selenium 200 mcg.
Vitamin C: Is a powerful antioxidant that helps fight off free radicals that can damage healthy cells.
Herbs: Astragalus and Grape Seeds Extract may help support the body’s natural resistance. Elderberries contain antioxidants, which help protect against free radical damage.
Fish oils: A recent study has also found that feeding fish oil supplements high in omega-3 fatty acids seemed to boost the activity of a white blood cell called a B cell, a vital part of the body’s immune response.