Winters are the harshest season of all. Apart from being bone-chilling cold and dry, winters are when people fall sick the most. With cold and dryness, it brings high chances of catching a cold and suffering from coughing. Nowadays, catching a cold can be really dangerous due to the ongoing pandemic. Besides curing these two as fast as possible, it is crucial to keep yourself prepared well in advance so that you don’t fall sick.
Luckily, Indian households have abundant in-home remedies. We have a cure for all minute sicknesses. These remedies not only work wonders but also have no side-effects. Listed below are some of those home remedies to cure cough and cold.
1. Honey and Ginger Tea: Ayurveda documents that honey and ginger are one of the best remedies for common cold and cough. This tea not only tastes good but also speeds up recovery. Apart from the common cold and cough, it is also beneficial for the digestive system. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, which reduces swelling in your throat. It also helps with eliminating mucus, thus providing an instant relief.
2. Haldi Milk: Not just the name, this drink is actually a golden remedy for your cold. It is made by boiling milk on a slow flame with ⅔ teaspoon of turmeric. Turmeric is rich in antioxidants. Therefore, a glass of warm golden milk will help soothe your sore throat due to cough. It will also improve your immunity. You can also add a pinch of black pepper to your golden milk, as black pepper helps with turmeric absorption in your body.
3. Multivitamins: It is essential to include multivitamins in our diets. Even though we try our best to get all the required nutrients, there still remains some nutrient gap. GNC Multivitamins being a blend of vitamins, minerals and some other components, is helpful in fulfilling that gap. Each GNC Mega Men One Daily contains 37 vital nutrients and amino acids that support brain health, muscle development, and the immune system. Meanwhile GNC Women’s One Daily Multivitamin is packed with 32 essential vitamins and minerals which support skin health, brain health, and the immune system.
4. Vitamin C: Proven by research, it was found that Vitamin C is an effective treatment for cold and cough and has preventive properties. It not only works as a good immunity booster but also contains protective antibiotics. Being water-soluble, it does not get stored in our body. Thus, it is important to include it as a supplement in your daily diet. Incorporate citrus fruits like orange, lemon or grapefruits in your daily diet or take it in the form of GNC Vitamin C 500 mg capsules. Each capsule is packed with 500 mg of Vitamin C and 15 mg of Rosehip powder, which boosts immunity, and provides antioxidants to support healing.
5. Salt Water Gargle: You must have heard your grandmother asking you to gargle with warm salt water. This is because it is effective in treating sore throats. Not only that, but it also has preventive effects. The high amount of salt in water helps flush the virus out of your throat. It also effectively treats itchy and dry throat. Mixing ¼ or ½ teaspoons of salt to a glass of warm water works like magic.
6. Masala Chai: Masala chai is a common drink in every Indian household during winters. It obviously tastes good, but the spices add up to make it a perfect mixture to keep your body warm and safe from cold and cough. It can be made by grinding 3-4 black peppers, a clove, a few tulsi leaves, a small piece of cinnamon and a few drops of ginger juice. All these ingredients are rich in antioxidants and have antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Besides cold and cough it will also help soothe your sore, dry and itchy throat.
7. Zinc: Zinc is an immunity-boosting mineral. Studies show that it not only helps with cold and cough but also keeps you from getting sick. Other than preventing cold, it reduces stress and fatigue and promotes relaxed and restful sleep. GNC Zinc Magnesium Amino (ZMA) Complex is known for its effective results. It contains healing properties and is proven effective for people suffering from sleep problems.
8. Grape Seed Extract: Grape seed extract is a potential source of antioxidants. Antioxidants play an important role when it comes to fighting cough and cold. GNC Herbal Plus Grape Seed Extract is packed with antioxidants and supports the immune system. In addition, it also helps with eye diseases related to diabetes and improves blood circulation, effectively lowering cholesterol levels, thus helping with blood pressure.
Despite a chaotic lifestyle, it is important to keep track of your health. Not only physically but also mentally. Often people with hectic lifestyles avoid taking much-needed rest that slowly catches up to you making you fall sick. Suffering from cold and cough is an indicator that your immunity is running low. It is time you pay attention to the needs of your body.